Program Specialist - Youth Bike Safety
|Location:||Santa Cruz, CA|
|Salary Range:||TBD based on skills and experience|
|Benefits:||Ecology Action offers a generous benefit package that includes a cafeteria plan with medical, dental, and flexible spending benefits; a 401k-retirement plan with 4% employer match; and group life insurance.|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Description:||Ecology Action, a California-based non-profit, is a leading provider of innovative marketing and engagement programs that overcome barriers to reducing energy use and achieving environmental sustainability, is seeking a Program Specialist to join our Transportation Team to work on its Safe Routes to School (SRTS) initiative. The Program Specialist will focus on EA’s Bike Smart! Youth Bicycle Safety Program, working with students on how to be safe, responsible, and confident cyclists. This includes conducting bicycle safety trainings, classroom presentations, hands-on bicycle skills Obstacle Courses (“Rodeos”) and Community Rides (on-street training), as well as bicycle Education Booths at schools and community events. |
The Program Specialist will also manage EA’s Transportation Membership services for local employers. This long running program provides Zero Interest Bike Loans, Emergency Ride Home and bike safety related services.
This position will also create funding proposals and coordination of other EA transportation-focused programs.
Ecology Action seeks a team-oriented, talented, energetic, flexible and organized individual to fill the Program Specialist position. The successful candidate will work directly with students, teachers, school administrators, parents, and volunteers, as well as clients, businesses and public agency partners.
• Program management (planning, budget, implementation, evaluation & reporting, administrative & invoicing work), instruction, and assisting with specific programs and events.
• Office work includes computer (spreadsheet, text, and internet work), phone, writing, and managing files.
• Maintaining technical expertise in sustainable transportation program planning, delivery, and assessment.
Bike Smart! Youth Bicycle Education Program
• Recruit schools to participate in Bike Smart! Presentation and trainings.
• Coordinate trainings: schedule dates, recruit volunteers, plan with school personnel, etc.
• Prepare materials for presentations and customizing presentation
• Deliver in-class bicycle safety presentation or assemblies (for groups of 30 – 120 students)
• Score presentation pre- and post-question (quiz) sheets and record information.
• Host bicycle rodeos – on-bike training for each student
• Update obstacle course designs based on logistics of each training
• Transport supplies to rodeo locations (including ~15-25 bikes, ~30 helmets, wooden stops signs/cars, a teeter-totter, cones, etc.)
• Set up and break down obstacle courses
• Conduct program administrative work including data tracking, reporting and invoicing
• Develop and track program budget
• Coordinate with division VP on Bike Smart! Development work that includes writing grant applications, soliciting individual donors and fundraising events.
• Conduct program development projects, such as: curriculum development, promotional literature and educational literature.
• Update and maintain program website.
• Coordinate promotion of events.
• Manage student interns and volunteers
Employer Transportation Membership
• Oversee Member Services by managing, implementing & maintaining the Zero Interest Bike Loan and Emergency Ride Home (ERH) programs
• Conduct annual current member renewal and new member recruitment effort
• Assist employers with promotion of programs – through poster/brochure design, email templates, etc.
• Accept bicycle loan applications and determine eligibility
• Coordinate with EA Accounting team to distribute loans and track payments
• Communicate with loan participants regarding current balances, late payments and completion of payments
• Administer pre- and post-program travel surveys to assess effect of the program
• Distribute ERH vouchers and record registration form information into database
• Track ERH voucher use
• Provide UCSC-specific services as part of their membership package – including conducting on-campus bicycle safety presentation and outreach booths.
• Coordinate with UCSC faculty and staff to plan and implement programs
• Maintain UCSC-appropriate presentation
• Report on quarterly and annual Membership activity
Assist with other EA Transportation programs and activities as needed
|Qualifications:||Required Qualifications and Experience:|
• Experience working with and/or teaching youth as well as community outreach - specifically, understanding and working with safe routes to school program and its importance in sustainable transportation
• Experience working with school administrators, teachers, parents and
• Environmental or community program management, planning, implementation, evaluation, and reporting.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel programs, database program experience, and e-mail tools.
• Experience working in a fast-paced office (cubicle) environment with a high level of program responsibility.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Deliver instruction to youth in a clear, concise, passionate manner.
• Excellent classroom management skills with youth to maintain an effective learning environment.
• Ability to convey and foster enthusiasm to get students excited about biking
• Ability to make students of all levels feel comfortable with their abilities
• Ability to recruit, train & manage volunteers and interns
• Able to think and move quickly in response to school and class needs.
• Ability to develop budgets, manage budgets, and follow budget guidelines.
• Excellent written communication and oral presentation skills
• Highly organized and detail-oriented with excellent follow through
• Must be a problem solver
• Self-motivated, energetic, helpful and positive attitude Quick learner to be able to excel at multitude of demanding job assignments
• Valid CA driver’s license to drive EA van needed to transport rodeo bikes.
• Undergraduate college degree in the area of Environmental Studies, Physical Sciences, Social Marketing, Business, Communications, or related field.
• League of American Bicyclist League Certified Instructor (LCI)
• Computer skills–functional familiarity with website and graphic design programs: In-Design, Illustrator, Contribute and Photoshop
• Spanish language skills–intermediate level or better.
• Interest in promoting a clean environment and alternative transportation.
• A bike commuter—it is very difficult to preach something you do not do.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
• For Bike Smart! program tasks, the environment is a mixture of an office setting and working out in the field (at schools and community events) to plan and implement youth bicycle trainings.
• Preparation for youth bicycle training events involves multiple trips to the storage unit in basement to load an unload supplies into the agency van, including bicycles, boxes of helmets and other supplies. The employee must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, talk and hear, and use a computer keyboard and monitor. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. The successful employee must also be able to climb stairs or ladders occasionally. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
Ecology Action believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to our success and should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities. This position description outlines primary duties, qualifications, and job scope, but is not intended to be a comprehensive description of job responsibilities. We expect each employee will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our endeavors.
Candidates for this position must be legally authorized to work directly as employees for any employer in the United States without visa sponsorship.
Ecology Action does not offer a company paid relocation program.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.